Forgotten Realms: Splendors & Shadow
Although no family has been ennobled in more than a century and a half, there are dozens of aristocratic families whose status is recognized by city law. The nobility regained much of their lost influence from the Masked Lords with the formation of the City Council, and remain the exclusive beneficiaries of the private law of Noblesse Oblige, but they are seeing their power dwindle in the face of the upstart middle classes. As a result, many have aligned themselves with emerging guilds and merchant concerns, quietly adding a stream of new money to their family resources.
Some of the more influential noble houses are:
- House Adarbrent – Old and powerful shipping family.
- House Anteos – Bankers and caravan masters.
- House of Hawkwinter – Landowners and mercenary captains, allies of the Church of the Holy Triad.
- House Moonstar – Shipping family, allies of the Church of the Moon Goddess.
- House Thann – Foreign noble family with many local holdings.
- House of Wands – Magically gifted family, allies of the Arcanists’ Guild.